Sunday, July 17, 2011

Benefits of a Square Foot Garden

According to Mel Bartholomew, the creator of Square foot gardening, the benefits include more harvest, less water, less work and can be made to suit any size yard or garden.

Using a raised bed garden design does not requires digging or rototilling. After a bit of research I've found that it's cheaper to build your own bed than to purchase one, especially since I have my own handsome handy-man.
Materials include: wood, screws, drill and a level. Here are a few examples:

Left: raised bed using wood planks

Right: raised bed using concrete blocks



To make the bed even cheaper and more eco-friendly I can use recycled wood, use homemade compost and use dead leaves for mulch. The more expensive aspect of a raised-bed garden is the fill.

Even if you have a large area to garden in, the square foot method can be used to maximized productivity!

Just to recap:
-saves money
-uses less space
-uses less water
-less work (in theory)

I think I have found my garden solution...Today! I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow. I still have 2-3 weeks before any of the seedling are ready to be transplanted.

Grow babies grow!

No comments: