Thursday, July 28, 2011

More Digging!!!

Remember the "4x4" bed I dug last week? Well it has grown!

Tuesday night when it had cooled down a bit (only 89 degrees instead of 109) I set out to "season" the garden bed. I felt like I was making a HUGE lasagna.

First I dug deeper, then I dug wider. My 4x4 became a 6x7 in a hurry. Once I finished digging I spread cow manure across the entire area then I added a layer of homemade compost. The next layer was the sandy soil I had previously dug out...time to put it back...but not all of it.

Almost done!

The next layers were a thin sprinkling of the remaining manure and then the rest of the original dirt. WHEW!! I didn't need to go to the gym for at least another day! Once my layers were finished I watered the entire area and it was time to shower.

Later this week I'll have to make another trip the the store for a few bags of garden soil. Florida soil is very sandy and not all plants like sandy soil. And next week it's time to transplant half of my remaining seedlings into their new home.

Pumpkins already have a new place in the garden, next will be Cucumber, Zucchini, Bell Peppers and Eggplant. The last of the transplants are Tomatoes and a few late-planted Zucchinis.

In the mean time I have started a few more seeds. I didn't get much of a harvest from my first Jalapeno so I've planted 3 more. I've also added another type of pepper and a Hungarian Heart Tomato...more on that later!

Happy Planting!

No comments: