Monday, August 8, 2011

Pumpkins!

Good morning! And what a gorgeous morning it is!! Today I am all about Pumpkins.
Below is a bit from my website:
While pumpkins are not the easiest plant to grow, they are not terribly difficult and have many uses both in recipes and decoration.

Seeds can be started indoors as early as April or up to 2 weeks prior to setting outdoors. Pumpkins do not like cold weather and frost will kill them.

Pumpkins need soil amendments, preferably natural or organic, such as Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. Pumpkins need lots of sun and should be watered regularly.

Maturity rates vary between 12 weeks and 20 weeks depending on variety and size preference of pumpkins.


I posted a picture yesterday of my first flower on my pumpkins. This morning I have 2 and MANY more buds just waiting to raise their heads to the sky.

I am looking forward to making Pumpkin Pie and Roast Pumpkin. I have a special recipe saved just for the occasion that I'll share today.

Roasted Pumpkin
servings:4-6

Directions:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 400°F.
  2. Quarter and then carefully peel and seed the pumpkin.
  3. Cut into chunky 2" cubes.
  4. Place pumpkin into a large & sturdy roasting tray.
  5. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper & cumin - mix well, making sure that all the pumpkin pieces are coated in olive oil.
  6. Bake in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft & also tinged brown at the edges.
  7. Serve with a main meal as the vegetable dish OR freeze for future savoury pumpkin recipes. I also make soup from this - as well as pasta dishes too - recipes to be posted for those!

No comments: