Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saving the seeds of harvest

I don't have much time to devote to give an accurate "how-to" on Seed Saving so I'll make it quick and explain more in a later post.

Tonight I made a salad with dinner and added a fresh from the garden Cal Wonder Bell Pepper.

I managed to save most of the seeds for planting next season.


Seed saving is an art I have not yet mastered. I know I have a lot to learn but I am willing to try. I feel a great sense of accomplishment having eaten food I have grown myself. My bell pepper didn't need to travel hundreds or thousands of miles and no pesticides or chemicals were used on or around the maturing plant. With the exception of the fuel it took to ship the original seeds to my house, almost no additional fuel was consumed.

And, the top and insides of the bell pepper will go back into the garden in the form of compost.

Here comes the rain again. Thank you Mother Nature!

No comments: