Monday, July 16, 2012

Sprouting at Home: Day 1

Have you ever bought Mung Bean sprouts at the grocery store?  They are expensive when you consider how cheap the beans are and how easy it is to sprout.  At Mary's Kitchen I'm working on a No-Bake Recipe series and this week one of the recipes calls for sprouts.  I figure now would be a great time to get sprouting!

Sprouts are delicious and nutrient dense.  Read To Sprout or not to Sprout for more information. You'll need:
Sprout Jar and beans
A sprout jar or a large bowl.  (a jar is MUCH easier)
Sprout seeds: Mung Bean, Alfalfa, Broccoli, etc.
Water

I'm using Mung Beans so these instructions are specific to this variety.  I'll get into other sprouts later.

If you want delicious greens with or without the garden, Sprout!

Directions:  
Put 1/3 cup beans into your sprout jar. Add 2 cups of water.  Allow seeds to soak for 8-12 hours.  Empty the seeds into your Sprout Jar.  Drain off the soak water.  You may use it to water plants.  Rinse thoroughly with cool (60-70°) water.  Drain thoroughly.

Once I emptied out the water I set the jar upside down in a bowl to drain completely.

Set your Sprout Jar anywhere out of direct sunlight and at room temperature (70° is optimal) between Rinses.  This is where your sprouts do their growing. I use a counter top - in the corner of the kitchen.
Mung Bean Sprouts Day 1
If you want to grow short, sweet Mung Beans - with 1/8 - 1/2 inch roots:
Rinse and drain every 8-12 hours  for 2 - 3 days.
If you want to grow big, thick Mung Bean - with 1 - 3 inch roots:
Rinse and Drain every 8-12 hours  for 4 - 6 days.

Your sprouts are done 8-10 hours after the final rinse.   Be sure to drain your sprouts as thoroughly as possible after the final rinse.  Transfer your sprouts to a plastic bag or sealed container and put them in the refrigerator.
Mary's Sprout Sampler + Protein Power Mix
If you would like to Sprout along with me, check out the selection of Sprouts and Supplies at Mary's Heirloom Seeds.  They are all organic varieties and shipping is FREE.  

Mary's Sprouting Kit Includes: glass Ball jar (1 quart size),  lid with screen, 2 oz.  Organic sprout seeds and sprouting instructions. The best deal is on 2 Sprouting Kits (Save $6) or 4 Sprouting Kits (Save $13)!
When you checkout, let me know you found me at Back to the Basics (or the newsletter) and I'll include an EXTRA 2 ounces of sprouts.  If you decide to purchase only sprout seeds I'll include an extra ounce of sprouts.

Happy Sprouting! 
Check out Day 2 and Day 3.

13 comments:

Becky said...

I didn't know you could grow these at home. Thanks for sharing!
--Becky
preppypremed.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Oh, I even have a variety of seeds ready to go. OK..I'll do it.

Mary Smith said...

Sprouting is SO easy! Instead of throwing out the water when I drain, use it in smoothies!

Ladies Holiday said...

my sister got me the lid...and the directions weren't clear...another bookmark- thank you for making this so simple :)

Tobins' Tastes said...

I have never tried sprouting before but this post has got me looking into it : )

Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

Kaylee
www.couponingncooking.com

Unknown said...

I have never heard of this before. It's fascinating and would also be a fun activity for my little one to watch grow. Thanks for sharing at the Our Favorite Things Link Party.

Mary Smith said...

Thanks for stopping by Kaylee and Karri! Sprouting is so easy and it makes a great homeschool project/science project as well as a nutritious snack.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing at The Gathering Spot. Sprouting seeds can be fun for the kids. I sprout my wheat berries to add to salads.

Emily Meyers said...

Hey there! I just found your cute blog via the hop and I'm your newest follower! I'd love to have you be my blog friend too and check out a fabulous giveaway I'm having right now!!

Hope to see you there! Thanks so much!
Emily

http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/07/chi-bling-giveaway-winner.html

Julie said...

What a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

Julie

Unknown said...

I so enjoyed this tutorial - I really do want to try this.... Thanks for sharing at my linky party!

:)
Have a great week!
-Heather
stringtownhome

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime said...

This is a great tutorial. I never really thought about doing this at home. Thanks for sharing at my linky party!

Mary Smith said...

YEAH! Thank you everyone for stopping by and leaving wonderful comments! Tomorrow I'll be guest hosting a link up with Healthy Mommy, Healthy Baby. Stop by and party with us!