Saturday, September 29, 2012

Health Benefits of Calendula

This post is for my sister Jen.  She has huge marigolds growing in her garden and recently harvested 4 of her plants.  She had almost a grocery bag full of flowers and still had a bunch left in the garden!
Pacific Beauty
What is Calendula?
From Wisegeek,
"Calendula is the genus name of a flowering plant more commonly known as the marigold, which is not only an attractive border plant, but is edible and has useful medicinal properties as well. Be warned, however, if you want to collect and dry your garden marigolds for herbal uses, that a number of other plants are also called 'marigolds'. Make sure yours are true Calendula officinalis before drying or eating them. Calendula flowers and leaves are edible and make an attractive addition to salads and soups. The flavor is usually slightly bitter and can add a tangy or tart flavor to your usual greens.
Calendula has a long history as a healing herb, most notably for the healing of wounds. It has antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties that prevent infections, and it can support coagulation and scab-formation in sores that resist healing. For this reason, it is contraindicated in wounds that need to remain open until all the infection has drained away, since it may cause premature scabbing that would necessitate reopening the healing wound. Calendula can be applied as a poultice - a warm mash of the flowers held in place with a cloth - over wounds to stop bleeding, aid healing and prevent infection, and was a common battlefield first aid during the nineteenth century and beyond. Calendula was also widely used in tinctures, or herbal extractions with alcohol, and infusions, or teas made from the dried herb."

Health Benefits of Calendula
My favorite source, Herb Companion says:
"Used since Roman times, calendula (Calendula officinalis) has a centuries-old reputation as a wound healer. The bright yellow and orange blossoms contain volatile oils, tannins and resins that calm inflammation; speed healing; and have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
In recent studies, calendula has been proven to help heal venous leg ulcers, which are notoriously slow-healing wounds caused by poor circulation. Calendula often is a primary ingredient in herbal salves for skin rashes, diaper rash, minor cuts and burns, and chapped lips. A strong tea made from calendula blossoms makes an excellent footbath for athlete’s foot, a facial wash for acne, an eyewash for conjunctivitis, a mouth rinse for aphthous ulcers (canker sores) or a vaginal wash for yeast infections."

It's a pretty Awesome plant!

Grow your own Calendula (Marigold)
Calendula is easily grown from seed and may be sown directly in the garden from early spring on into summer, with plenty of time left to get a good harvest of flowers. Tolerant of poor soils, calendula will grow in partial shade or full sun. The plant requires regular watering. Sometimes known as “pot marigold,” calendula is easily grown in pots on the doorstep or in window boxes. Ideal for children, the seeds are large and easily handled, and germination is almost assured even if planted by the inexperienced gardener. Sow about ¼ inch deep and pat down the row. Keep weeded and thin to 6 inches to 1 foot apart. The first flowers are produced only 40 to 50 days after seed germination. 

Calendula is also a great Companion Plant

 Linking up HERE.

*Don't forget, October 4th at Back to the Basics! The Salsa Garden Giveaway!

24 comments:

Katherines Corner said...

I grow marigolds in our garden every year. Hopping over and following along from Our Everyday Harvest xo

Mary Smith said...

Thanks Katherine! Following back = )

Jenny said...

I love marigolds! Very informative post!! :)

Following from the blog hop!
http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/

Babblings and More said...

I LOVE Marigolds! Our mom used to plant them in her garden! We are now following you from the blog hop!
Come follow us back!
Brooke from babblingsandmore.com

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

Such a wonderfully helpful post! - thanks so much for all of the info.
Stopping by from Couponing & cooking blog hop.
Thanks
Angie
godsgrowinggarden.com

Unknown said...

Wow, I never knew that. Thank you for posting at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

Hopping over from Inspire me Monday.
My husband loves marigolds, and the smell of them. I think they stink but they work well in the garden to repel bugs. Thanks for giving me another use for them :)

Claire Justine said...

They are so lovely,thanks for linking up with us at Creative Mondays :)

I Gotta Try That said...

Gosh you do learn something everyday. I'm glad I got to read this post! Thanks so much for sharing on "I Gotta Try That Monday"
Marcie

Becky Elmuccio said...

I've noticed that calendula is often included in the baby care items I have for our daughter. It's a great way to keep animals out of the garden too.

Kristina said...

I didn't know that marigolds and calendula were the same thing!

Empowered Momma J said...

What a powerful flower and informative post. Thank you.

Becca said...

Wow, it's always amazing to learn of the wonderful things God gave us in His creation! We don't have to settle for chemical/artificial substitutes. Thanks for sharing at A Humble Bumble!

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

I love marigolds, but I never realized that they were the same as calendula. Great info, thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Ladies Holiday said...

LIke th others, I never realized they were (mostly) the same plant! I have a calendula moisturizer and love the smell of it! As you know, I host the Photo Friday Blog Hop and welcome you to join up with this or any other post you think readers would enjoy. Hope to see you there. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Amazing! These would look beautiful on a salad. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize marigolds had health benefits. I have only used them to keep the critters out of the garden. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

Adorned From Above said...

Hey Mari,
This is great information. I love calendula. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
from Wednesday until Sunday.
Hope to see you there.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Rooster Inn said...

Hello...stopping by from Anne's TALU and found your post very interesting being that I am in the medical field AND I love flowers and gardening as well. Thanks for the info!!

Anonymous said...

This brought me back to my childhood - the house I grew up in had a lot of rock walls and flower beds. At some point, I asked if one could be for me and grew marigolds there. It ended up attracting a little frog family, so I cracked a piece out of a terra cotta planter and turned it upside down for them to go in, would leave water for them, etc. while tending to my flowers. :) It really does make you wonder who first thought to use such things for medicinal purposes?? [#TALU]

Linda G. Hatton said...

How interesting! I've eaten rose petals, but never marigolds. Now you've got me curious. Thanks.
:-)
(TALU)

Debbie said...

I'm always fascinated my herbs. I think it is the forgotten medicine and should be brought back and used more often. (talu)

Debbie said...

I'm always fascinated my herbs. I think it is the forgotten medicine and should be brought back and used more often. (talu)

Anonymous said...

I was diagnose April 17,2015 and find out I'm HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don't believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor's here in USA few of them know about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of medical expertise. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr itua ,who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 2 weeks to get cured,I did for 2 weeks, within this 7 days i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result after finishing the herbal medicine for two weeks it was absolutely negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on medicals expertise,if you are HIV positive Or other disease such
Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease.contact Dr Itua for any kind of herbal product and remedies through Email Or Website.. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com