Friday, October 26, 2012

Broccoli Sprouts Day 1. Journey post #4

I've been teasing you all week about sprouting Broccoli.  I shared in Eat to Beat Cancer part 3 that "those who eat the most cruciferous vegetables — items like cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and broccoli — have the best survival rate."

We eat veggies in our house every day but sprouts are a special thing.  I don't have to dig in the garden and sweat over the weeds to get homegrown sprouts.  Sprouts take anywhere from 24 hours to 5 days.
So here we go!

Broccoli Sprouts
Seed to sprout in 3-6 days
Yield is up to 1:5
Sprout shelf life is up to 6 weeks if stored properly.
I started with 1 tablespoon
Directions:

Prep 3 Tablespoons of seed then transfer into a bowl or into your Sprout Jar.  Add 2-3 times as much cool (60°-70°) water.

Mix seeds up to assure even water contact for all.  Note: Brassicas tend to float. Try to sink those that do by knocking them down with your fingers. It isn't a big deal but it is a good habit.  Allow seeds to Soak for 6-12 hours.
Move the jar so the kitten won't knock it over!
Empty the seeds into your Sprout Jar.  Drain off the soak water.  You may water plants or use it in stock if you like - it has nutrients in it.  

Rinse thoroughly with cool (60°-70°) water.  Drain thoroughly!

Set your Sprout Jar anywhere out of direct sunlight and at room temperature (70° is optimal) between rinses.  This is where your sprouts do their growing. We use a counter top - in the corner of our kitchen, but where the sprout jar won't get knocked over by cats, dogs, kids or us.

Rinse and Drain again every 8-12 hours for 3 days.  Be sure to drain very thoroughly.

If you would like to sprout along, check out Mary's SPROUTS page!  When you place your order just leave a comment that you found me from Back to the Basics and I'll include a free ounce of seeds.  If you order $35 or more of seeds or kits I'll include an extra 2 ounces and an extra Screen for FREE!  Shipping is always free!

Happy Sprouting!

14 comments:

Ana Love Craft said...

Lovely curious cat!!!
Have a wonderful week!

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Mary Smith said...

Thanks Ana! She is definitely curious!

mail4rosey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mail4rosey said...

I'm here from the No Rules Weekend Blog Hop.

Thanks for sharing the information.

msurosey@yahoo.com

Holly said...

Heheh I love how your cat is "helping" you sprout the broccoli!
Dropping by from the blog hop. :)

Nicole said...

Thanks for the great instructions. Sprouts are not as difficult as they seem.

WhatJeanLikes said...

This is such an easy way to do it!! I love my garden, don't know what I'd do without it!! Being healthy is so important, especially with all the junk food around these days.

Following back from the Aloha Friday blog hop!! Have a lovely weekend!

Unknown said...

Healthy and fun, the kids would love to watch these grow!
Thanks,
Steph

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you would stop by and follow me back!!

www.enjoyingtheepiphany.co

Thanks,
Sarah

Paula said...

Waiting to see what these look like!

Unknown said...

Love your helper! Thanks for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Fun and healthy!! Love the cat pic :)

Thanks for linking up to my Sunday FUNday party!! XOOXXO

Kristine from The Foley Fam {unedited} Blog

I Gotta Try That said...

I did this years and years ago. I forgot how to do it. Thanks for the reminder and thanks so much for sharing it on "I Gotta Try That"
Marcie

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing at Sweet Saturday. Sorry I didn't thank you sooner ;)